Discovering and documenting Nevada beer, booze, and food

Mike Hughes, Doorganics

I was interviewing Mike Hughes for Grand Rapids Business Journal’s Feb. 4 Inside Track, when I figured, why not?

So I went on and asked him the meaning of life.

“I haven’t had a lot of time to reflect for the last year and a half,” Hughes said. “My spiritual life is on the back burner right now.”

Hughes works a lot. He’s an employee benefits specialist during the day, and the rest of the time he’s the founder and owner of Doorganics and the president of the MSU Club of West Michigan.

(Doorganics is a home delivery service for organic produce, and it’s pretty freakin’ awesome.)

Although he spends most of his time working and networking, Hughes gave some pretty sweet insight to why we’re here.

“We all have potential in life to be successful,” he said. “But you have to be willing to help others attain their success.

“If you can help someone else, it’ll come back to you eventually.”

Although I’m sure there are exceptions to this rule, it seems fairly plausible.

The conversation wondered here and there, and for awhile we touched on Chris Andrus’ quote, “There’s nothing like looking at space to show you that getting a C+ on your math test doesn’t fucking matter.”

That quote can help prevent a lot of stress, but unfortunately we found, stress is somewhat important. When we stress, it’s about worrying things aren’t going to get done. Most of us still have that part of us that will make sure things will get done well enough to pass no matter what.

Like you can’t shut down and do nothing. Though, some people probably do.

“You have to be proactive in life,” Hughes said. “If you don’t, things don’t get done.”

A  lot of that has to do with reputation. You have to do things, otherwise the reputation struggles and life struggles, which, “we all desire to live a better life.”

Hughes talked about how 90 percent of his customers are happy, but it’s the other 10 percent he worries about. “We want everyone to like us.”

He hates the term “pay it forward,” and thinks a better term needs to be developed, but that’s what he said life should be about.

Life’s a big circle.

4 Responses to “Mike Hughes, Doorganics”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Basic HTML is allowed. Your email address will not be published.

Subscribe to this comment feed via RSS

%d bloggers like this: